Seven people have died and many more are injured, some seriously, after a tram crash in London.
More than 50 people have been rushed to hospital and the tram driver has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after the derailment in Croydon, South London.
The fatal accident happened at the start of the capital’s rush hour and the tram was filled with commuters heading to work.
According to reports, the tram was speeding and officers from the British Transport Police force are now looking into whether the 42-year-old driver may have fallen asleep at the controls.
While it is not yet known exactly how fast the tram was going, the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) has said that it was a “significantly higher speed than is permitted”.
Deputy Chief Constable Adrian Hanstock said: “After liaison with the coroner, we can confirm that at least seven people have lost their lives as a result of this incident.
“Our officers will continue to work tirelessly throughout the evening to formally identify them and provide care and support for their families.”
Meanwhile, the London Ambulance Service said that eight people had injuries that were either life-threatening or serious, while its paramedics had taken a total of 51 people to two different hospitals.
The tram was heading for Wimbledon went it came off the rails while going round a sharp left-hand curve which should have been taken at a maximum speed of 12 mph.
There is not a safety mechanism on trams to automatically apply the brakes to slow them down if they are going too fast.
While rescuers desperately tried to reach all casualties, the tram remained overturned next to an underpass.
Witnesses and those with family on the tram spoke of their horror at what had happened.
Kudirat Okesola told reporters that her husband was on the tram and, while he thankfully escaped with his life, she said he had a significant injury to his face. She said: “People were screaming. People were crying.”
Meanwhile, Andy Smith had been standing waiting for a bus nearby when he said he heard a screeching noise following by a loud band.
He added: “Down the track I saw carnage. There was a lot of screaming, panicking and commotion. It was a macabre scene.”
Both St George’s Hospital in Tooting and Croydon University Hospital confirmed that they were treating large numbers of patients, some of whom were seriously injured, while others arrived as walking wounded.